Monday, August 6, 2007

Thompson/Huckabee

Hello, my name is Frank Schultz, and I have agreed to track the education positions – or lack thereof – of GOP candidates Tommy Thompson and Mike Huckabee.
I am a reporter at the small but feisty Janesville Gazette in southern Wisconsin and can well remember Richard Nixon being my president for what seemed like a very long time.
Tommy Thompson was my governor for even longer than that, which is why I volunteered to cover these also-rans.
Huckabee and Thompson have much in common:
-- Not much campaign cash.
-- Both former governors who point with pride to their educational intiatives while they ran their respective state houses.
-- Both need a good showing in the Iowa GOP’s straw poll on Saturday (Aug. 11).
This assignment has me musing: How about a Tom and Huck ticket? The Mississippi does roll past both their states, one in the North, one in the South.
Mark Twain himself, however, would add words of caution, such as these from 1876:
“History has tried hard to teach us that we can't have good government under politicians. Now, to go and stick one at the very head of the government couldn't be wise.”
Feel free to e-mail me with thoughs about Tom and Huck at fschultz@gazetteextra.com

No comments: