Thursday, August 16, 2007

Giuliani, NY Yankees and me

Hi all -- I'll be blogging about Rudy Giuliani, with whom I share a great affection for the New York Yankees. I'm an assistant managing editor at The Chronicle of Higher Education. I've been with The Chronicle for 10 years, first as a political reporter and then as an editor overseeing our government and politics coverage. I have followed the education platforms of the candidates in past elections and covered the conventions in 2000 and 2004 for The Chronicle. Before coming to Washington, DC in 1997, I was a reporter at the Wilmington (NC) Star-News, the Arizona Republic, and the Ithaca (NY) Journal.

Greg Toppo notes in his earlier post that the Republicans, at least Mitt Romney, haven't talked much about education. The same is true of Rudy Giuliani. But at a campaign stop today, Giuliani did mention schools -- in that he thinks it's okay to include prayers at school graduation
ceremonies. According to the Des Moines Register, Giuliani said there needs to be a balance between constitutional protections against the government establishment of religion and people's right of religious freedom. "It's OK to say a prayer," he said. Maybe we can say a prayer to get the candidates to start talking about education.

-- Jeff Selingo